Friday, September 2, 2016

Thoughts on Diigo

Along with Twitter we also investigated Diigo this week. This is also a tool I've been using already, and in this instance I decided to create a new account rather than utilize my current one.

I REALLY like Diigo as a way to track resources for specific projects, on certain topics, etc. It's so much more helpful than simply bookmarking a site in a browser. The annotation feature is what really sets it apart; I like being able to highlight text and make comments which are saved along with the link. This makes it super easy to remember why I bookmarked the site and what I intend to use it for. Where was this during my college and grad school years?? As a teacher of multiple preps I've found it to be a fantastic way to organize resources and ideas I have for my various classes.

Then there's the social aspect of it. This would be a great tool for group or committee projects, as you can share not only the resources but again also your highlights and notes, AND have a running conversation about each resource as well.

I can also see this tool as having value to instructors in the beginning of assigning a research project, when students are looking for and evaluating resources. Students can share resources they are considering to their instructor along with comments defending their usage, and teachers can respond back with instructive feedback.

For me personally I primarily use Diigo for curating items for myself and have used little of the social features, but it's definitely something I'd be interested in exploring further.

For a visual, here is an article that I have annotated. The text of the article that I have highlighted is indicated by the vertical yellow bars, and the associated comments I made are directly below each:


And here is the link to my Diigo account: https://www.diigo.com/user/dcaparula. Not because anyone is ever going to even read this article let alone look at my bookmarks, but because it is required for this assignment. Another box to check on this wannabe "authentic" assignment that just makes people jump through hoops without really learning anything other than where to click to set something up. Which is too bad, because with a little thought and effort in both the design and facilitation, these tasks could be really exciting learning opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment