Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Revisiting Twitter

If you decide to use Twitter in your classes, there are a few tools that can assist you in managing your usage.

Lists


Lists are a handy way to group people and/or organizations you follow, so you can narrow down your feed to tweets from just those accounts. For example, I created a list including all of my ION classmates and instructor, so it would be easy for me to scroll through just those items periodically. The header above links to directions for setting up lists; below you can see a screenshot of my list options. I can view a feed a Tweets from just the members, view the list of members, and since I've made it public (meaning other people can subscribe, so they too can view the isolated Tweet feed) I can see who has subscribed to the list. This was my first time creating a Twitter list, and I found it to be quick, easy, and efficient - I highly recommend it if you need a little Twitter curation!


TweetDeck


TweetDeck is an external resource that allows you to monitor various types of Twitter activity.
For example, below you see four columns: 1) my general Twitter feed, 2) my ION class feed (I've blurred out my classmates' info), 3) Direct messages, and 4) a feed for #Snoopy. The header above is linked to the TweetDeck site.



HootSuite


HootSuite has features similar to TweetDeck, with the ability to manage various feeds in columns. The added bonus is that you can draft and schedule Tweets to be automatically sent out at a later date and/or time. You could use this scheduling feature to send tweets to your classes at specific times during the term. Say, for example, you require your class to open a Twitter account and learn the basics of Twitter navigation. As part of that lesson you may want to send out a few links throughout the unit - perhaps even the same exact links you've been sending out for four different sessions in a row - but are worried you may forget. You can schedule them all ahead of time, even more than one term at a time, and never have to think of it again! The header above is linked to the HootSuite site.



Hopefully at least one of these capture your interest!

No comments:

Post a Comment