Monday, October 3, 2016

Google Forms for Online Quizzes and Surveys

It seems like Google has a solution for everything, doesn't it? Quizzes and surveys are no exception; enter Google Forms!

I have been a Google Form user for quite some time. I use them extensively for surveys, particularly for early and end of course feedback in courses. I prefer to use this over the built-in survey feature of the LMS because:

  1. It boosts student confidence in the anonymity factor when the feedback surveys don't look like LMS quizzes.
  2. It produces beautiful visuals of the aggregate and individual data.
  3. I can embed the same survey across multiple sections, which automatically aggregates the data for me (I include can provide a dropdown menu of sections as one of the questions if I need to parse out the responses).
  4. It embeds very well in our LMS.
My department also uses Google Forms to collect data in other ways. For example, it's a great way to keep track of proposals for in-service sessions or other events. We link a Google Form into the LMS for faculty to request sandbox courses, so that we get all the information we need in one shot without having to send out pesky follow-up emails - it also allows us to keep track of all of the sandboxes we have created and when.

Graded quizzes, however, is a feature that was just released this past summer, so setting up a quiz in Google Forms was a new experience. I love that you can embed YouTube videos and images into Google Forms, adding the multimedia touch. This also allows you to use a "quiz" as an instructional tool; you can include whatever content you'd like, then add comprehension check questions to make sure that students are grasping the concepts (and actually viewing your videos!).

Interested in seeing what this would look like? Take my sample Google Forms quiz - enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment